Thursday, April 8, 2010

The beginning.






Yesterday began with the sound of rain, the smell of hot millet and date fudge and the usual morning bustle and chatter of 7 children and two adults getting ready for the new day. It also began with my decision to begin this blog finally.


I'd been reading about making wax crayons and since we had plenty of bees wax we gave that a go yesterday. It is always good when trying something new to follow the directions! I mixed the bees wax and soap together at the beginning and it took hours to melt down enough to spoon into the mould. We did end up with blue crayons that work just as they should but it will be a little while before I try that again!

Homemade Bees Wax Crayons.
1 part bees wax
1 part soap
dye of your choice, we used soap dye.

First melt the grated bees wax, when melted add the grated soap then the dye and pour into your greased moulds.

Sounds so easy, I hope you have a better time with it than I did!

Serena made us two lovely quiche for lunch using home grown tomatoes and basil, it's so nice to still be picking basil in April.






Ella-Grace did some more sewing, I love seeing her use sewing basket. She loves the independence of having her own materials and being able to help herself to them whenever the mood strikes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen, I found you via Evi's blog and have just had a lovely time reading every post! What a gorgeous life you lead with such a gorgeous family. Your view of Mt Roland (?) from the daffodils, caring and loving siblings, warm home and adventures are all so inspiring and obviously filled with love. I look forward to following along :)
    Ps. I am a home school mama from Burnie, trying to live a more sustainable and fulfilling life in suburbia :)

    ReplyDelete