Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spinning


I have been inspired to start spinning again after reading http://farmama.typepad.com/ and seeing her lovely work. I borrowed my mums old wheel which is wonderful to use. I also bought a cheap drum carder but I'm not finding the carded wool very easy to spin. It maybe be simply lack of practice, I hope to be able to get the wheel out again today so will see if I can improve my attempts. I am intrigued to see farmama spinning roving, I'd love to know how that is done. It looks to me like it might make the job a whole lot faster, a major consideration when I find so little time to do any craft. The children would like to try spinning so as soon as I sort out the carded wool issue I'll give them a go. The wool I'm useing at the moment is black alpaca from friends alpaca. It's lovley and soft, very dirty though. The children and I watched the alpaca being shorn and bought the fleece home with us, so they will get to see the whole proccess.

This morning Serena will take the little ones to a reading program at the local libraray. They look forward to going each week and Serena is so good about taking them. It's a wet old day today and after a night of very little sleep I'm thinking a crafting/ audio book type afternoon sounds pretty cosy. Maybe with scones and tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment